Tuesday 26 January 2010

The Cremaster - A Feast of the Senses


A scene from The Cremaster Cycle One

It happened during my first days in the library. While I was wondering how crazy about art people who work in the art industry can be, one day during lunch, my colleagues set up the projector in the laboratory and started showing a BBC documentary on The Cremaster. So that is it, they do not stop looking at art even when they are having lunch.

But this is just joking. Watching that documentary was indeed a feast of the senses. I did not know about The Cremaster Cycles nor Matthew Barney then, not to mention the complicated allegory and non-linear narrative. But the costumes and installations gave me that cult impression and I was especially attracted to the Baroque visual elements. I hope someday I will be able to watch all five cycles in one go and to appreciate The Cremaster both in terms of its narrative and its visual representation.

No comments:

Post a Comment